Under the supervision of the Homeless Manager or a designated Manager in the Human Services Department, the Mobile Hygiene Unit Operator oversees the provision of mobile dignity services, which include showers and laundry services, at multiple service sites, to homeless persons in the Fremont and Newark area. The job includes driving a truck and hygiene unit trailer with a combined length of 51 feet, to multiple sites on a daily basis, and carrying out set-up, operating and maintenance tasks. Other duties include working with and training site-based volunteers to coordinate shower usage, provide shower amenities, operate washing and drying machines, and register homeless persons who use the service.
The City anticipates requiring two operators, each working 20 hours per week (.5 FTE each), and paid on an hourly basis.
WHAT YOU WILL DO ALL DAY
- Works with Homeless Services Manager to train and coordinate volunteers at multiple service sites to provide mobile shower and laundry services.
- Ensures accurate completion of Homeless Management Information System (InHOUSE/HMIS) intake form by clients utilizing shower and laundry services.
- Ensures all supplies needed for services and intake are available on the unit for service delivery at each site.
- Assists volunteers in helping homeless clients to launder their clothing. Homeless clients will place their clothes and other personal items needing to be laundered in mesh bags. Operator or volunteers will place bags in the washer/dryer and operate machines.
- Trains volunteers on intake and record keeping processes and use of laundry units.
- Communicates effectively and frequently with Human Services staff and other community organizations serving the homeless to identify and make referrals for homeless clients who need assistance accessing other services.
- Prepares, in writing, a variety of program reports such as general client demographics, daily usage reports, and incident reports.
- Prepares, in writing, a variety of operating reports such driving activity reports, accident reports, and maintenance reports, and makes routine purchases of materials and supplies.
- Drives and operates 19-foot truck (truck), pulling a 32-foot mobile hygiene trailer (trailer) to multiple services sites.
- Sets up trailer at multiple services sites (1-2 per day), including setting front-to-back and side-to-side trailer level using stabilizer jacks and trailer tongue jack, chocking trailer wheels, connecting generator to trailer, turning on generator and opening propane gas lines, lowering ADA ramp, and setting up portable steps to facilitate access to trailer.
- Loads and unloads heavy items (such as various types of cleaning and laundry supplies). Ensures that loads are properly and safely secured.
- Responsible for basic daily maintenance of the mobile hygiene unit, including:
- Checking oil and fluid level, and tire pressure,
- Filling and maintaining fuel levels for truck-mounted generator,
- Filling and maintaining water levels for 400-gallon water tanks which supplies water for showers and laundry washer,
- Filling and maintaining on-board propane tanks needed to operate hot-water heaters,
- Periodic washing of the exterior, and
- Emptying black and grey water into City corporation yard dump station or other remote dump stations, on a daily basis.
- Works with City Fleet supervisor to coordinate monthly/annual automotive and chassis repairs and maintenance.
Minimum Qualifications / Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Willingness to serve homeless population in a welcoming and non-judgmental manner, with sensitivity to and understanding of the special needs of the homeless.
- Ability to work cooperatively with volunteers, offering instruction and support as needed
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally in and in writing, with volunteers and offer basic training on the use of the laundry machinery.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Basic report writing, Excel entry, data entry and record keeping practices.
- Experience with inventory control.
- Ability to build supportive and respectful working relationships that instill hope.
- Proven ability to work independently, as well as, an effective member of a team and a collaborative.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including some weekends and evenings.
- Ability to take and follow detailed directions.
- Willingness to learn and adopt culturally sensitive and appropriate service delivery practices and openness to self-exploration and dialogue and with diverse groups.
- Possession of a valid California Class A Commercial Driver's License is required. Failure to maintain a Class A license will result in termination.
- Three (3) years of experience driving larger vehicles with trailers
- Clean DMV record required.
- Proven ability to safely drive the 51-foot Truck and Trailer combination
Tentative Recruitment Schedule
Oral Board Interview: Week of February 25, 2019
Department Interview: Week of March 4, 2019
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The hourly salary for this position is $25-$35 depending on qualifications. The City of Fremont is in compliance with the Affordable Care Act (ACA). This temporary assignment may become eligible for a medical benefits contribution from the City based on the average number of hours worked. City contributions vary based on hourly rates.