The history of America is wide and rich, and has had many important representatives of this wonderful history. One of them is, undoubtedly, Bulldog Trucks. In 1900, Jack and Gus Mack founded Mack Trucks, Inc. Originally known as the Mack Brothers Company, they were first located in Brooklyn, NY and moved to Allentown, PA in 1905, when they produced their first successful motorized vehicle.
Widely known for their trademark, the Bulldog, Mack Trucks earned this nickname in 1917, during World War I. The British government purchased the Mack AC model to supply its front lines with troops, food and equipment. British soldiers were the ones to name the Mack Trucks, the bulldogs. Its pugnacious, blunt-nosed hood, coupled with its incredible durability, reminded the soldiers of the tenacious qualities of their countrys mascot, the British Mascot.
Always pioneers in the industry, Mack Trucks were two steps ahead of the rest of companies in the field. They were the first ones to apply the use of air cleaners and oil filters to trucks after their engineers discovered the fuel and maintenance savings these products offered customers. They also pioneered the use of power brakes and rubber isolators as cushions in mounting chassis components to improve shock resistance. All of these events, together with a trans-continental convoy conducted by the US Army, took place before 1920.
Mack Trucks most famous model is the AC model, but there are other models such as Mack BJ and BB models (early B series) that were introduced in 1927 to respond to the demand for larger capacity and high speed haulage. By 1941, the growing acceptance of trucking as a transport mode required the application of new design and engineering principles, and a variation of sizes and weights; that ended up in the production of more than 15,000 units.
During World War II, this company was a major contractor, with more specialized products. Mack trucks served the Allied forces 35,000 strong in that second conflict with prime movers, personnel carriers, wrecker trucks, tank transporters and more. From 1926 to 1972, Mack built off-highway or mine trucks from 15 to 100 ton capacity.
Mack was the first heavy-duty diesel engine manufacturer of the day to produce its own engine compression brake, patented as Dynatard engine brake in 1971. In 1979, Renault takes a 10 percent share in Mack Trucks; and with this company increasing its holdings during the incoming years, Mack introduces the MH Ultra-Liner model, featuring the industrys first successful all-fiberglass, metal cage-reinforced cab, resistant to corrosion and with a reduced cab-weight.
In the 1980s, the association between Renault and Mack resulted in the massive distribution of diesel truck series in North America and parts of Central America and the Caribbean. So, by 1990, Mack Trucks becomes a wholly-owned subsidiary of Renault, became one of North Americas largest producers of heavy-duty diesel trucks, in addition to major product components, and is an integral member of the worldwide Renault Group.
In February 1999, Mack introduced the Vision by Mack, a new premium highway tractor. This truck was designed from the ground up to give drivers the power, handling and comfort they want, without compromising the low operating cost, efficiency and serviceability demanded by fleet managers in the competitive transportation industry.
Mack Trucks main goal has always been to serve their clients with an optimal product that possesses the latest technologic advances. They are the true and worldwide leaders in the production of trucks and trailers.