Harris Teeter Supermarkets Inc

By: Bubbajunk.com

W. T. Harris was a pioneer in the grocery industry. He borrowed $1,500 to open his first grocery store in Charlotte, NC in 1936. From there he went on to open his first supermarket in 1949 that featured air-conditioning, and remained open until 9 p.m. on Friday nights!
Around the same time Willis L. Teeter and his brother, Paul, borrowed $1,700 to open their first Teeter's Food Mart in Mooresville, NC, in 1939. The two young, prospering companies first joined their efforts in 1958 by pooling their buying efforts and storage facilities and were officially merged on February 1, 1960 to form Harris Teeter Super Markets, Inc. There were already 15 stores in operation by this time. The first "Harris Teeter" store to open under the new banner was in Kannapolis, NC.

The Ruddick Corporation of Charlotte, NC, a holding company traded on the New York Stock Exchange, purchased Harris Teeter in 1969. Harris Teeter, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Ruddick Corporation and a food market chain that operates in the six-state area of North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Georgia, Tennessee, and Florida.  Ruddick Corporation is traded on the NY Stock Exchange at RDK.

In addition to 138 retail stores, they also operate grocery, frozen food, and perishable distribution centers in Greensboro and Indian Trail, NC, as well as the Hunter Farms milk and ice cream facility in High Point, NC.

For generations, Harris Teeter has made financial contributions to organizations to create a better quality of life in the neibourhoods of the nation. Each year, the Corporate Contributions Committee reviews thousand of requests and directs donations to make a positive impact for community groups. This is the way Harris Teeter Supermarkets chooses to pay back some of the gratitude to the nation. Apart from this the company continues to offer the superior services to the citizens year after year.